Job Title: Assistant Editor, CT Global
Department: Christianity Today Editorial
Supervisor: CT Global Director
Basic purpose: The assistant editor will help to produce a wide-ranging and dynamic menu of print and online news articles for CT Global, with an emphasis on international issues.
The assistant editor has the ability to:
- Acquire, edit, and write news articles for clarity, style, and length, with speed and accuracy, for the publication’s news section.
- Acquire, edit, and write longer news-focused reported articles for the publication’s essay well, with an emphasis on issues facing churches and Christians outside the US.
- Work compatibly with freelance journalists, communicating CT’s working philosophy, vision, mission, the interests and needs of its readers, and journalistic ethics, and otherwise helping the reporters to develop manuscripts into acceptable articles.
- Knowledgeably seek out, select, and recommend news developments, issues, trends, expert sources, and writers. The editor will be heavily responsible for discovering news that is of interest to CT readers—both stories that other outlets are covering and those stories that other outlets have missed. The editor will also suggest news pegs and experts for articles other CT editors are pursuing.
- Work compatibly and collaboratively with other CT staff, especially others on the news and design teams.
- Find and develop new reporters and writers.
- Report and write clear, professional articles for Christianity Today with speed and accuracy.
- Set priorities and manage work schedule in order to meet established deadlines.
- With relevant staff, suggest, acquire, and edit news photos and infographics as appropriate.
- Stay informed of major issues and concerns facing the church, society, and the electronic publishing industry today.
- Travel as assigned to attend appropriate meetings, report stories, conduct interviews, research articles, and/or meet prospective contributors to CT.
- Participate actively and knowledgeably in relevant staff meetings.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the CT Global Director.
Education: Bachelor's degree in journalism, international relations, or related subject to work being performed. Education welcomed in church history and theology.
Experience: Minimum 2 years experience in newswriting and/or editing.
Location: Due to the collaborative nature of the job and CT work environment, the employee is expected to work at CT’s offices in Carol Stream, Illinois, and at times with the CT Global Director in Chicago, Illinois. But exceptions can be made for existing employees who have demonstrated exceptional skill and understanding of CT’s values.
Skills/Knowledge: Must be able to write and edit clear, objective reports of news events. Must have general knowledge of the evangelical community and current publishing trends and tools. Excellent fact-checking, spelling, grammar, typing, word processing, communication, organizational skills.
Equipment Used: Computer, telephone, photocopier, digital recorder.
PHYSICAL and VISUAL ACTIVITIES:
Physical and visual activities that are commonly associated* with the performance of the functions of this job.
Standing, walking, sitting, carrying, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, typing, talking, hearing; visual acuity - near, accommodation.
Environmental/atmospheric conditions commonly associated* with the performance of the functions of this job: Usual inside conditions.
Physical Demands commonly associated* with the performance of the functions of this job: Carrying loads up to 5 lbs.
*"Commonly associated" is not intended to mean always or only. There may be different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
All requirements are open to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.