To apply, email a completed application, along with a cover letter and résumé, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Leading candidates will be asked to submit two to three story ideas they would pursue in this position.
Job Title: Associate Editor, Features, Christianity TodayFLSA Status: Exempt
Department:Christianity Today Editorial Classification: Full-Time
Christianity Today is seeking a creative, entrepreneurial, and broad-thinking editor to provide compelling, smart, and highly significant stories for its print magazine and online. This editor is expected to generate original feature story and essay ideas and to assign them to the best-suited writers, as well as to evaluate and acquire the best of incoming story pitches and develop them into high-impact content.
This is a generalist position that requires insatiable, informed curiosity and a diverse arsenal of storytelling skills. The editor will produce both long and short articles, working with scholars to make research a pleasure to read and with professional writers to make narrative nonfiction riveting. The editor will have a strong grasp of magazine journalism, a keen instinct for writing style, and demonstrated ability to seek out and find consequential new ideas the church will soon be exploring.
We’re looking for an experienced editor who passionately believes that the gospel of Jesus Christ is a transforming and vital force and that God’s primary way of working in the world is through the church and through the Word.
This position involves some writing but is not a staff writer position; the ideal candidate will thrive on helping others communicate well and sharing brilliant ideas with the world.
- At least three to five years of experience editing feature stories, ideally in a setting that required speed, accuracy, and depth.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the Bible, the church, and the evangelical movement.
- Editorial vision and intellectual ambition.
- Excellent proofreading and editorial skills.
- Formal education in journalism and/or theology preferred.
- An appreciation for the history, mission, and values of Christianity Today.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- File multiple publication-ready articles each week.
- Attending conferences and meetings with sources, writers, and trainers.
- Collaborating with the CT editorial team and sharing areas of expertise.
- Developing a broad team of contacts and freelance writers.
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Meeting output goals; filing articles that are formative, informative, and free from errors.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: while performing duties of the job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand; sit; walk; use hands to handle, finger, or use controls; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: Usual office environment conditions
- Annual performance evaluation
- Attainment of annual goals established by CT’s managing editor.
- This job is based at the Christianity Today offices in the west suburbs of Chicago, but remote options may be considered.
Leading candidates will be asked to submit two to three story ideas they would pursue in this position.