Christianity Today is seeking a freelance editor to cover the intersection of immigration, the church, and Christian communities. This editor will primarily report and write thoughtful, original, and compelling features on Christian immigrant communities in the US, how immigrants are shaping Christian life and ministry, and other related angles on the complexities of US immigration. Additionally, this editor will acquire and edit relevant feature stories, essays, and op-ed pieces from outside contractors for CT in print and online.
We’re looking for an experienced editor with demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the Bible, the church, and the evangelical movement, and an appreciation for the history, values, and mission of CT. The editor will be comfortable working with and editing scholars and professional writers, and working with diverse sources across the socioeconomic spectrum to tell the most important idea-driven stories about migration and the church. This person should be skilled at juggling short, quick-turnaround stories while also managing enterprising, deeply reported pieces.
- 3+ years editing and/or reporting experience, ideally in roles that required speed, accuracy, and depth.
- Excellent proofreading and editorial skills.
- Formal education in journalism and/or theology preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Spanish or language of another major immigrant community, in addition to English, is a plus.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Deliver several publication-ready articles each month.
- Participate in relevant meetings as necessary for projects.
- Occasional travel (domestic and international) for reporting.
- Developing a broad team of contacts and freelance writers.