Job Title: News Editor
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Christianity Today Editorial
Classification: Full Time
Supervisor: Senior News Editor
Christianity Today is seeking a skilled news editor to oversee the news section of our award-winning print magazine and to provide reported news features for its feature well, with an emphasis on issues facing Christians in the United States. This editor is expected to generate original enterprise news stories and to assign them to the best-suited journalists, as well as to evaluate and acquire the best of incoming story pitches and develop them to CT’s journalistic standards.
We’re looking for an editor with strong journalistic experience and a track record of producing magazine-style news reporting that is idea-driven, timely, and relevant months after its initial publication. We want someone who can conceive, assign, and edit long and short articles and nontraditional story formats. We need a truth-seeking journalist who passionately believes that the gospel of Jesus Christ is a transforming and vital force and that God’s primary way of working in the world is through the church and through the Word.
- At least two years of experience in newswriting and editing, ideally with some experience in idea-driven, magazine-style journalism.
- Formal education in journalism preferred but not as important as demonstrated experience and strong clips.
- The candidate must be able to demonstrate interest in and knowledge of the church in America, especially the evangelical movement (broadly conceived).
- Editorial vision and ambition along with a strong collaborative spirit. This position requires creative thinking and project management skills; the editor will also be coordinating efforts with other team members, such as those pursing online news, those producing international stories for print and online, and many others.
- Excellent proofreading and editorial skills.
- An appreciation for the history, mission, and values of Christianity Today.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acquire, edit, and write news articles for clarity, style, and length, with speed and accuracy, for the publication’s front-of-book news section.
- Acquire, edit, and write longer news-focused reported articles for the publication’s feature well, with an emphasis on issues facing churches and Christians in the US.
- Find and develop freelance journalists, communicating CT’s working philosophy, vision, mission, the interests and needs of its readers, journalistic ethics, and otherwise helping the reporters to develop manuscripts into acceptable articles.
- Work compatibly and collaboratively with other CT staff, especially other news staff.
- Knowledgeably seek out, select, and recommend news developments, issues, trends, expert sources, and writers. The editor will be heavily responsible for discovering news that is of interest to CT readers—both stories that other outlets are covering and those stories that other outlets have missed. The editor will also suggest news pegs and experts for articles other CT editors are pursuing.
- Travel as necessary to attend appropriate meetings, report stories, conduct interviews, research articles, and/or meet prospective contributors to CT.
- Participate actively and knowledgeably in relevant staff meetings.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the senior news editor.
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Meeting output goals; filing articles that are formative, informative, and free from errors.
- Annual performance evaluation
- Attainment of annual goals established by CT’s senior news editor.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job is based at the Christianity Today offices in the west suburbs of Chicago, but remote options may be considered.