Join a vibrant team of editors, designers and marketers who are seeking to tell the story of God’s work in the world in new and imaginative ways, and work for one of the most trusted brands in Christian journalism. CT is a nonprofit global media ministry, engaging over 4.5 million Christian leaders every month, encouraging and equipping them to advocate for the church and shape the evangelical conversation.
In this position, you’ll play a key role in crafting compelling stories to maximize the impact of CT’s global storytelling and reporting. You’ll be creating original journalism and social native content, making use of CT’s extensive archives, and bringing readers’ voices into CT’s content. And you’ll be helping to set our social media and newsletter strategy across a number of products and platforms.
We’re looking for a journalist eager to showcase CT’s thought leadership and reporting on established and emerging social platforms. While working primarily with Christianity Today’s flagship magazine and website, the audience engagement editor will also be establishing strategy, communicating best practices, training, and helping other departments experiment with their own social media and digital content strategies.
- Be part of a dynamic, energetic and trusted group of journalists covering breaking news, theology, science, books, and culture – all from a global Christian perspective.
- Work across platforms – including social media, podcasts, interactive digital, print and newsletters – to help our audience discover and engage with content.
- Collaborate with CT’s editorial team, marketers, designers and data analysts to understand our audience and its needs, developing new strategies for improving the digital experience across ChristianityToday.com and its expanding digital platforms.
- Interact and engage with our readers, recommending ways to expand the conversation via CT’s various channels.
- Manage the strategy and scheduling of existing social media accounts and help define the voice of CT’s feeds.
- Work with podcast leadership and CT’s media team to shape our strategy for leveraging audio and video more effectively across email, social and other digital channels.
- Work with CT’s creative team to develop assets—including article summaries, interactive stories, charts/graphs, audiograms, and quote graphics—to promote engagement and social sharing.
- Be involved in the editorial process from start to finish: attend idea generation meetings, plan campaigns to support major editorial packages, and execute those ideas to reach our audience in new and innovative ways.
We’re looking for someone who has:
Experience both in journalism and social media strategy. This should be someone committed to news values like verification and accuracy, hungry to dive deep into breaking stories, and able to institute a ministry-wide social media plan.
Personal affinity for mobile, digital, and social media. We want someone who can’t resist keeping up with trending topics and viral posts among evangelicals on social media, who appreciates thoughtful Twitter threads and conversations, and who is a clever and clear communicator, even when crafting messages on a smartphone.
An interest in future platforms. The ideal candidate will not only be an expert in messaging on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and chat apps, but also someone following emerging platforms and potential resources to expand CT’s reach and storytelling capabilities.
Strong editorial judgment. While this job largely entails established and emerging social platforms, this editor will also be engaging our readership through some email newsletters and the reader feedback section of our print magazine. So we need someone who can distinguish between significance and urgency.
Excellent time management skills. Someone who understands the power of timing, can manage deadlines, and hustle for breaking news.
A deep love for the church. Our vision is to make the church more beautiful and to make its beauty known.
Technical/Physical requirements of the job include:
Typing, writing, sitting, reaching, handling, talking, hearing, visual acuity (near), visual accommodation. Work is performed in a typical office environment. Ability to move/carry/lift 1-20 pounds.
Because of the collaborative and strategic nature of the position, candidates able to work at Christianity Today’s offices in Carol Stream, Illinois, are preferred. But remote work may be a possibility for the right candidate.